PLHS is 90 years old this year!
We are starting off our 90th year with two new Alumni Projects to complement the 90th Gala event coming in October.
- PLHS ALUMNI HISTORY PROJECT: We are interviewing Alumni and past staff members to document our Pointer history. This will be an ongoing project and should provide us with some amazing stories, history and memories. We will post outtakes from the interviews in the Alumni News and will have full transcripts and videos available in our archives. Want to help brainstorm who to interview and what to ask, or actually help conduct an interview? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org (put “Alumni History” in the subject line.)
- POINTER HALL OF FAME: Reinstating the Pointer Hall of Fame has been a goal for several years. We will soon be asking alumni (via the Alumni News) for nominations to be considered for the 2016 Inductees. Get involved with the Hall of Fame committee! email@example.com (put “Hall of Fame” in the subject line.)
- Both programs are supported by contributions to the Alumni General Fund.
Donate to PLHS Alumni and keep our History alive
"PLHS Alumni Association was founded in 1978
to help promote communication among Pointer alumni,
preserve the history of Point Loma High School, and
maintain alumni records.
Operating under the nonprofit umbrella of the PLHS
Pointer Association, we support Pointers past,
present, and future.
Once a Pointer, Always a Pointer!"
Our mission is to develop
and provide resources for enhancing the educational environment
of PLHS, to connect alumni, and to maximize interaction
between alumni, parents, students, staff, and others
who care about PLHS with a goal of building Pointer Pride
for generations past, present and future.
PLHS Alumni support includes:
- Dedicated PLHS Alumni website.
- PLHS Alumni News emails to keep Alumni connected.
- Collection of, and access to, Pointer historical memorabilia
(yearbooks, student newspapers, clippings, photos, videos,
athletic/band/cheer uniforms, trophies, classroom and building
- Master database of all Pointer alumni in a secure alumni directory/database
- Resources provided to Reunion chairs to facilitate communication
with their classmates (contact lists, broadcast email)
and ensure the success of their events (campus tours, memorabilia
for display, suggestions/advice from other chairs, holding
class funds for safekeeping between events.)
- Yearly Scholarships assist graduating seniors in attaining
their higher education goals, and remind them they are
part of 85 years of history and tradition. (Scholarships
have been given by the PLHS Alumni Association since 1975.)
Where support for PLHS Alumni comes from:
- Alumni Committee volunteers. This year we hope the committee can meet
quarterly in a fun environment (can you say Happy Hour?)
to come up with ideas for fun alumni activities and support
- Alumni Fund support the cost of the website, fund our Alumni
support to PLHS Pointer Association programs.
How to Help
Give to the PLHS Alumni Fund
- Maintaining alumni connections, website, email communication,
memorabilia archives, PLHS History project, reunion chair support, and grants
to PLHS Pointer Association programs.
to one of our Alumni Scholarship Funds here
- Spirit of the Pointer Scholarship
- Bennie Edens Memorial Scholarship
- The Larry Zeiger
Ideas for PLHS Alumni projects that can use Volunteer
- Scanning: 85 years of El Portal yearbooks, photos, news
articles so they can be accessible to our alumni.
- PLHS History Project: Video-taping Pointer Alums (from as far back as we can
find them) to get their stories of life at PLHS through
- PLHS Alumni News: Ideas for improving content, researching news article and reunion update info. Got
ideas? Tell us! E-mail
- Homecoming activities: For Alumni.
- Alumni Guest Speakers: On campus for students and
- Pointer Hall of Fame: Reinstatement of yearly nominations and inductions to
Alumni Hall of Fame.
to the PLHS Pointer Association here
- Campus support for all students. Providing resources
to enhance the three A's - "Academics, Arts and Athletics".
E-mail for Alumni - Our